How Do I Start On Line Recovery Counseling?

To schedule a free 30 minute consultation with a counselor go to the Stages2Change website:
http://www.stages2change.com/

Email exchanges: susanbeerybuck@gmail.com

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Emergency Landing at the Children's Hospital

Why Mothers Are Against Drunk Driving

I am spending the night in a city hotel where I have a view of the Children's Hospital.  I first realized I was near the hospital when a helicopter flew over and landed at the hospital.  Tonight while I was working on my computer, I could hear the stuttering noise of the helicopter engine preparing to take off.  That noise flooded my mind with memories.
Helicopter Pad at a Children's Hospital.
Several years ago, I worked as a Chaplain Intern in a hospital. I was assigned to work in the trauma room which is where the most critically injured patients are treated upon arrival to the Emergency Room.   We had a trauma helicopter crew who would life flight patients to the hospital.  It was my job to notify family members that their loved one was in the hospital.  
I will never forget one spring evening, four teenagers were brought into the Emergency Room.  They were on the way to the prom when a truck t-boned their car at an intersection.  The young driver of the car suffered a brain injury and was close to death.  I remember the phone call I made to his mother.  She was visiting another state. She was riding in the back of a cab when she answered the phone.  I informed her that her son had not made it to the prom that night.  I could hear her fear through the phone.  She was able to find a flight home. Her son was kept alive until they were reunited.  He died shortly after her visit.   
Four teenagers on their way to a prom,  full of anticipation for the evening's events.  They were innocent to the dangers of the evening.  They did not expect to have a fatal car crash with an intoxicated driver.  
I hear the helicopter arriving at the hospital as I am typing.  I am wondering who they will retrieve tonight.  Is it a young child?  I am thinking of the family and the terror they must feel to have their loved one helicoptered to the hospital.  
Quietly, I say a prayer for this family . . .  asking God for grace.

www.stages2change.com

No comments:

Post a Comment