How Do I Start On Line Recovery Counseling?

To schedule a free 30 minute consultation with a counselor go to the Stages2Change website:
http://www.stages2change.com/

Email exchanges: susanbeerybuck@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Recovery and Speaking the Truth

Lying - A Deliberate Untruth

Have you ever heard the following:
"How do you know if an addict is lying? 
Their lips are moving."  
You may think it is only an addict, criminal or child who will lie.  The truth is that most people lie in everyday conversation. (Study at UMass).
Speaking the truth is a sign of maturity and health.  All too often people want to cover up, embellish, hide or tell a lie.  Why do people lie?  The top reason is image. Another reason people lie is they have something to lose. For example, a teenager will lie to avoid getting grounded.  A spouse will lie to maintain a relationship. Bottom line, a person lying wants to look good.  
Speaking the truth is a sign of maturity
Lying starts in childhood.  Children may lie because they are imitating their parents.  Think of it - the telephone rings, Mom says, "Tell them I am not home." That is a flat out lie.  She is home.  The child sees this and thinks telling a fib is a normal thing to do. 

Common lies: 
I have a headache.
I did not do it.
I'm fine.
I never said that.
I didn’t want to hurt your feelings.
I was just kidding.
I was only trying to help. 
Tell them I am not home.
I am feeling sick.
I did not see the speed limit.
I only drank one.

How can you tell if someone is lying to you?  Look for the common signs.

Seven Common Signs of Lying
1. No eye contact.
2. Voice change - stammering
3. Unusual body language - blushing, fidgeting.
4. Inconsistent statements.
5. Overly defensive.
6. Use of humor or sarcasm.

Watch the video to see the signs of someone lying: 
To learn more about lying check out: 
http://www.sixwise.com/newsletters/05/06/29/the-top-seven-signs-that-someone-is-lying-to-you.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment