How Do I Start On Line Recovery Counseling?

To schedule a free 30 minute consultation with a counselor go to the Stages2Change website:
http://www.stages2change.com/

Email exchanges: susanbeerybuck@gmail.com

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Venus Williams Diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome

Take Care of Your Health
Today the news reported that tennis star Venus Williams has dropped out of the US Open Tennis Match due to complications from an autoimmune disease.  Venus is 31 years old and has a systemic disease called Sjogren's Syndrome.   You may be wondering, what is Sjogren's Syndrome?
Venus Williams in jumper at Wimbledon earlier this year.
Sjorgren's Syndrome is a chronic autoimmune disease where the white blood cells attack the moisture producing glands.  It is estimated that over 4 million people -primarily women - have Sjogren's Syndrome in the United States.  
This disease is characterized by dry mouth and eyes, aching joint and muscle pain, overwhelming fatigue and arthritis.
The reason this news story has interest for me is because my mother had Sjorgren's Syndrome.  I watched as Mama's doctors ignored her bodily complaints over the years - telling her it was all in her imagination.  Finally, through a National Institutes of Health research program she was officially diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome and able to receive the medical care and support she needed.
If you or someone you love has Sjogren's Syndrome there is help available. The Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation has a website that is a useful resource http://www.sjogrens.org/
My Mama, Helen Beery
When you are not happy with a doctor's diagnoses it is ok and important to visit another doctor and get a second opinion.  
I learned the importance of a second opinion in 1997 when I had a cancer diagnose.  My original doctor was able to diagnose the cancer.  However, he did not diagnose the full extent of the cancer.  If I had only followed his treatment plan, the cancer would have returned and I may not be here.  Receiving a second opinion I learned that I was in Stage 2 Cancer and would require a full regimen of treatment to eradicate the cancer.  I was able to recovery, remarry and have a second child - all after the cancer. 
Keep in mind your body belongs to you.  How you care for and treat your body is your decision.  
As a person enters into recovery from an addiction, they may notice all sorts of body aches and pains that they were unaware of before.  Getting a good physical is an important first step in taking care of yourself.  My mother passed away 6 years ago tomorrow. She was only 70 years old.  If she understood her disease and was able to receive an early diagnose she might be alive today.  
www.stages2change.com


No comments:

Post a Comment